Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summertime Where We're Keeping It Easy

It's suppose to stay in the 100's for the next couple of days, so as my memory serves me I will posting some YUMMY summertime recipes that are tried and true.  here are just a couple of my warm weather favorites when you don't feel like firing up the big guns. This first dish is to die for, ripe tomatoes are a MUST..it's an uncooked pasta sauce recipe from Sardinia, my dream country, maybe I'll making tonight if it fits into my eating plan:

Linguine with Tomatoes and Basil:
4 ripe Tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 pound of Brie cheese, rind removed of course, torn into irregular pieces
1 cup of fresh basil leaves, cut into strips
3 garlic cloves or more if you like, I like, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 1/2 teaspoon salt, a little less if you use sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds of linguine
freshly grated Parmesan cheese to your liking and I have a liking!

combine tomatoes, brie, basil, garlic and 1 cup of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the pepper in large bowl.  Prepare at least 2 hours ahead of time, let sit covered at room temp.

cook pasta, you all know how to do that, use 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the reminder of salt when boiling the water.

once pasta is done, drain and toss immediately with the sauce.  top with fresh pepper and Parmesan cheese to your liking! This recipe serves 4-6

next, which is probably what I'll be having cause it fits into my plan, is a wonderful salad, perfect for our 100 degree weather:
I'm a lover of fruit in my salads so when I found this one with watermelon and Gorgonzola cheese I thought I'd died and went to wherever it is good Goddess go...
It's called Watercress and watermelon salad, but I make with Spring mix, but if you love watercress, and I do, make that way too-it seems spring mix is more readily available.

2 cups medium diced seedless watermelon
1/4 cup toasted walnuts or any nut you like, i love pecans in this salad too
Spring mix to serve 4
1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbled

Honey orange Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
2 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Dressing-whisk all the ingredients EXCEPT oils, salt and pepper, in small bowl
Combine olive oil and canola oil and while whisking pour into orange mixture. Season with salt and pepper and set aside
To serve: in another bowl combine watermelon, nuts salad mix and add just enough dressing to coat the greens-Serve topped with the cheese and ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment